Monday, October 20, 2008

YES, YES, YES, & PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE!

Justin recently learned how to say "YES!" It has been so long now that he has been saying "no, no, no" to every question I ask him. (Okay, so he doesn't actually say the word "yes," but he shakes his head up and down - CLOSE ENOUGH!) He also just learned how to say "please." (And of course that comes out as "peez.") Then he claps his hands like he is so happy - just like I have been doing. We are still working on the "thank you" part. It is so cute to hear him learn new words everyday. And even though he doesn't know how to say much, he does understand what I am saying. I can give him directions and he follows them - as well as a 1-year-old boy can. Another one of my favorite things he says is "boo!" And whenever I ask him to say it, he runs into the office where Daddy is and says it to him! He is such a tease - which is a good thing in this house!

Jason is busy having fun at school. He recently was having a hard time in the mornings at the bus stop. (Last week he even refused to get on without me!) I have come to realize that I cannot always MAKE him do things or act a certain way (oh, really?), especially when he is feeling insecure. I am sure he has had to adjust to a lot since he has just started kindergarten. So I have decided I need to just spend a little more one-on-one time with him and show a lot more patience! This has been a big thing for both of us to learn lately. So just in the past week or so we have been doing so much better! (Even if my online schooling doesn't get as much attention as it should.) I sometimes forget that he is still just a kid and should be able to be silly and learn to do things at his own pace. I think for so long I was just in such a hurry for everything. Hurry and do "this" because we have to do "this." We're late - so hurry and do "this" because I need to do "this and this and this!" He now has been a lot happier in the morning, and I make sure that I don't criticize his way of doing things, even though they might come at a slower pace. Another example is that he refuses to let me comb his hair. So even if we have to go to the bus stop with roost tails sticking up, it is way better than having an argument about me fixing his hair for him. It seems that it was easier to make him hurry when he was an infant and I could just pack him up and do everything for him myself.

Has anyone else had experience with things like this? PLEASE let me know of any secrets you might have!

No comments: